Saturday, 26 December 2009

Christmas with an angel and four surviving siblings

Wishing everyone peace, hope, joy, and love from our house to yours. Christmas 2009 was a happy time for our children, but bittersweet for this bereaved mother. In everything that we've done as a family, I'm so aware that one of us is missing. But we remembered him and my sister and her family remembered George and my father and his wife gifted our children with $100 to spend on Lego as an extra special present in memory of their baby brother.

It's been a green and sunny (instead of rainy West Coast weather) Christmas:




The school Christmas concert, "Shepherds, Sheep, and a Saviour" was a musical treat that we enjoyed for the afternoon and evening performances. Memorable moments include not only my grade four boy who was so chuffed at getting a cast role (not just a part as his grade's song number) as a sheep, but the poor head shepherd boy who threw up during the stinky sheep song, bless his heart, and the jazzy song with the disco ball and lights. I have to say that a nativity that features a disco ball and sunglass wearing sheep and shepherds brings a lot of joy to everyone in the cast and the audience alike:



We walked Albert dog to see a nearby full-size Nativity set on Christmas Eve day as we waited for my husband to finish work and come home to join all of us:



Christmas Eve we went to the 7 p.m. Mass and our oldest boy was an altar server for the second time. The children enjoyed the homily where all the little ones got to go up front and decorate the trees with meaningful ornaments, our five-year-old standing out because he wore his favourite Batman cape over his little dress shirt and pants. Then it was home to bed and they were all exhausted. They were asleep in no time and my husband and I got things wrapped and under the tree, St. Nicholas filled the stockings of course, and I gave George's ashes a pat where they sit on the shelf above our well-protected Nativity set. You'll notice that the Holy Family has nothing to fear because Spiderman is protecting them all from Herod:



Christmas day saw us up at 8 a.m. for stockings, then breakfast and Lego building, then opening the rest of the presents:



Several times the children mentioned their baby brother, happily wishing he was with us for the merriment and fun. I made our turkey and all the trimmings and had a few moments of tears on my own while the children played games with their Daddy in the rec room downstairs. The afternoon and evening saw us all relaxed, as evidenced by the furry member of our household:



So while I was the crazy lady imagining dancing by the Christmas tree with a seven-month-old babe in my arms, I was happy and thankful for the rest of the blessings in my life, including the reason for all the happiness and feasting here the last few days:

10 comments:

Ter said...

I'm glad you had some happy times amid the sadness. ((Hugs))

Hope's Mama said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Karen. I am glad to have found you this year (or more to the point, glad you found me). I wish George was here for his first Christmas.
xo

Lea said...

Hi Karen... thank you for sharing. Yes, there is always the feeling of one missing... amid all the family stuff.

Wishing you peace..

Mackenzie's Mommy said...

I'm sorry George wasn't there with you physically but I know he was with you in spirit. I'm glad he was remembered and mentioned by your family <3
xo
Ashley

margaret said...

How nice to have sunshine instead of rain for a change. Glad to hear the children had a good Christmas despite missing George. It really is a magical time of year for them even in the midst of upheaval. I missed going to Mass this year, the first time in years and I was sadly disappointed but we still had tons to do. Thinking of you...

Jeanette said...

Bittersweet indeed, your description of your Christmas had me alternately smiling and tearing up.x

Beth said...

i bet that full size nativity is a site. and i smiled at the spiderman protector. hehe.

i got your letter today.. i put the heart and the sweet, beautiful card with kathlyn's name and prayer in a little box i have, where i keep the pins i have with her picture on them (for the bereaved parents meetings.. i also wore her picture pin to our christmas eve service). sometime i will wear the heart as a necklace too. thank you so much. i love it.

Emerging Butterfly said...

Karen! I just got your message...I do sooooo badly want to talk, but with MIL law here I don't know if there is a private place in the whole house! I WILL call you on Wednesday--after she is GONE!!!!! Love you much...MUCH!
Sara

Gottjoy! said...

Karen,
I loved seeing your pictures of your family and activities. I am thankful that you are one of my precious blog friends. You are a jewel.

And I do know how you missed George this year. I think we will always feel like someone is missing. Bittersweet, indeed.

Leaning on Him....

Catherine W said...

The spiderman did make me smile.

I'm glad you found some sweetness and peace this Christmas. I wish that George had been there to enjoy it with you and his big brothers and sisters. xo